Sunday, November 29, 2009

Do Hard Things-Chapter 5-That First Scary Step


Chapter 5


TS The Bible verses used in this chapter are 3 Bible verses. One of them is 2 Timothy 1:7; it says “God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline” (NIV). SS That verse means that we have to use the spirits god give us. It also says that the bad spirits doesn’t come from God, but from the devil. The second Bible verse is in Hebrews 11:6. It says that “Without faith it is impossible to please God”. SS That verse means that we must have a strong faith, relationship with God. And it also means that without faith, we can’t please Him. EX. For example William Wilberforce, he had a really strong faith that he spoke to all people in the ship about God. William wasn’t afraid because he had a really strong faith in God. The third Bible verse is Proverbs 24:16. It says, for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by the calamity. SS That verse means that we must be righteous and not wicked. If we are righteous, even though we fail, we still can rise again.


1st Zone


TS One of the zones is that God works through our weaknesses to accomplish His plans. SS This means that God not only use the best, smartest, etc, but God uses everybody. God works his big plan from our weaknesses. There are many examples of people who God used from their weaknesses; one of them is Smith Wigglesworth. EX. Smith wasn’t a smart student when he was young. Smith started to read until he was an adult. That looks impossible for God to use because what can Smith do? But with God, nothing is impossible. Now, Smith is one of the best Evangelists in England. Smith has lead thousands of people to Christ. 2nd example is Karen Kovaka. Karen was really afraid to talk to other people and always cries if she shook a stranger’s hand. She never comes out underneath her bed because she’s too shy. Now Karen, the shy girl, is already a Community for Christ. She tells people how to overcome her fears.


2nd Zone


TS One of the zones the twins are describing is Courage is Not the Absence of Fear.
SS This means that we cannot let fear take over us. We must beat our fears to grow and learn for the rest of our lives. There are 2 examples of a story of beating our fears. EX. Betsy was in a cafeteria. There she heard her friends talking about pregnancy. God wants Betsy to reach out to her but Betsy was afraid. Finally she regrets what the Lord had said to her. Another story is Grace. Grace wanted to tell the gospel to everyone she met in the park, she already promised God. But when she saw many workers in the park, Grace was afraid. But Grace still talk to the workers and she could enjoy lemonade with them.



3rd Zone


TS This last zone is brought up with a title or main point which is You Can’t Get to Success Without Risking Failure. SS It means that it can’t be successful all the time. Like winning, we like winning but we can’t always win. I’ll give you an example of a boy who never gives up but finally ended up in successful. 14 year old Caleb made his bedroom a music room. He practiced using all the equipments about 70 times and failed. But now he already can use all the equipments and he and his friends have made 2 songs made in 3 months.


TS My life could look different if God overcame my fears. There are many ways I can to explain in more details. It can be different because I wouldn’t be afraid to preach. If I’m not afraid to preach, I could be a young priest. I have an example of this discussion. EX. There is a young kid in the NTT (Nusa Tenggara Timor) who is already preaching many people In the village. He is still 10 years old. I could look weird because I would preach adults and adults will learn from a kid.


TS My life would be different because if I maximize myself I could be famous. I could be famous because maybe I could be in a military when I’m still 11 years old. If I step out from my comfort zones, I could be rich and maybe I won’t be in Jakarta and Mr. P will be able to see me in the TV or hear my voice in the radio. I could rarely go to school due to the works I have for the job I’m doing. It could be different because I would be like an adult doing adult stuff. Even though I’m still a kid, I could be in big meetings. I could also meet famous people and the president if possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment